ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Re: Selenium

Re: [endurance] Re: Selenium

VMAXEPT@aol.com
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 01:27:12 -0400

In a message dated 96-04-14 21:16:16 EDT, Sweau@aol.com writes:

>I had my gelding's blood drawn 2 weeks ago and just got results back
>yesterday. Seems he is high in selenium (130-160 is normal according to
my
>vet) and my gelding's registering at 179. Any suggestions? I know a lot
of
>protein in the diet will help protect against selenium "toxicity" and that
>sulphur (as carried in amino acids) will decrease selenium in the body. I
would love anyone's expertise in helping me>understand more about this
particular

Did Anyone respond?
I suspect your feed in CA is high in SE?
Feed alfalfa hay? high grade?
Was the test using whole blood..see the posts from Dr Lynn

Take another test use a different lab

Would NOT recommend HIGH protein for endurance horses..They have to work hard
to unload all that protein
Read some place old timers comment.. smell the SWEAT if it stinks like
amonina (sp)
or urea and it foamyand thick the horse has to much protein in the diet.
IF the sweat is watery clear and smells sweet your ok.

make sure NONE of you feed or supplements has SE in it.. find some grass hay

again try another test to confirm.

roger r