ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Oakland Hills 25/50

[endurance] Oakland Hills 25/50

Susan Flagg (bzdgulch@ecis.com)
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 18:07:57 -0700

On Tuseday 6/11/96 Gary Fend wrote:
>BTW, the trails are marked by stockholders of a major vinyl tape
>manufacturer.

Being one of the drag riders/ribbon pullers for the first loop of
this ride, I can attest to this fact. All turns were fabulously marked, and
there were enough "security" ribbons to please even me. Wish I'd taken
along my huge saddle bags because my pommel pack filled twice and I ran out
of room to stash the ribbons I was pulling. (We use clothespins out here so
you can reuse the ribbons, also makes it easier to put them up and take them
down). Fortunately, about the time my pommel packs filled, it got warm
enough for me to take off my sweatshirt, so I tied it around my waist, used
a ribbon to close the bottom, and then proceeded to put the remaining
ribbons and clothespins in my improvised "pouch." As it filled, it got more
difficult to get on and off the horse, though! :))

Ride manager Laura Fend mentioned at briefing that while there were
140 riders, there were also over 100 volunteers there to help put on the
ride. Keep that in mind all you riders if you ever have the time or
opportunity to volunteer at a ride. It's a very rewarding experience!

BTW, it was great training for my young horse. She got lots of
practice stepping up banks and standing while Mom strained to reach a
ribbon. Someone must have used a taller horse for that part. Jane's only
14.3. We had a great time, though, and hope the riders did to!

This ride also follows the ribbons on the right, and three ribbons
to mark a turn rule. They had white ribbons into the first vet check,
spotters to split the 25/50 milers where the 50 milers made an extra loop,
then switched to yellow for the 25s and orange for the 50s after the first
vet check. They also used lime or flour for arrows and to mark across
trails where you weren't supposed to go. My only negative comment would be
the white was a little difficult to see in some places because of the early
morning fog, but certainly not impossible.

Sue Flagg in Knightsen, CA
and Starskees Plain Jane (who started stopping every time she saw a ribbon,
this may be a problem next weekend!)