ridecamp@endurance.net: re: [endurance] Steep Hills

re: [endurance] Steep Hills

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 06:02:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, idj3q@tva.gov wrote:

> That said, I think it is very important in competition to only do what the
> horse has done in training. If the rides he is going to do are flat and he is
> expected to travel at an extended trot or fast canter then he should have some

> Mountains are WONDERFUL!!!!

Agreed, I didn't know there were any in Georgia though. :)

Personally as for only applying on a ride what I've done in training, I
take a different approach from y'all. I run alongside my trusty steed down
almost all hills in competition and definately don't do that in training.
After two suspensory pulls I'd never consider taking him down ANY INCLINE
(of which we Californians have MUCHO) under weight. In training I attack
hills. In competition I save him on hills. If anybody's ever attacked the
9600 feet of incline at Sunland (for just one example) they know better
then to try and stay in the ride. Just the way I do it, not necessarily
the only way, but it's worked for us very well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~tomydore@goblin.punk.net~~DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu~
www HOMEPAGE http://www.slonet.org/~tcrocket