ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] rattlesnakes

Re: [endurance] rattlesnakes

Patricia Chase (ponies@foothills.eznet.com)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 23:36:42 -0700

>To: karen clanin <kclanin@fix.net> endurance@moscow.com
>From: ponies@eznet.com (Patricia Chase)
>Subject: Re: [endurance] rattlesnakes
>
>>Last Friday I spoke with the gal I buy my hay from about rattlers, they are
>>more exposed to rattlers than we are (area they are in), she had just been
>>to her doctor and they had talked about rattlesnake bites, he said he'd
>>treated 4 bites (to humans) in the past 3 days and told her that a bite by
>>a rattlesnake (to a human) was an automatic 2 week stay in the hospital. I
>>wouldn't a treat a bite by one to lightly and of course the young ones are
>>much more potent.
>>
>>Karen Clanin
>>Atascadero, CA (central part of the state)
>>
>>>p.s. Rattlesnake bites is people are generally speaking quite harmless as
>>>well. For most healthy adults, a rattlesnake bite that goes completely
>>>untreated with hurt like hell and make you pretty sick for a couple of
>>>days (and it will swell up like a balloon).
>>

>>Dear Karen,
>In these days of managed care, nothing that I can think of gets you an
"automatic" 2 weeks in hospital. All rattlesnakes (and therefore
snakebites) are not created equal. The toxicity of the venom varies
according to the species of rattlesnake, the age of the snake, the location
and depth of the bite and how much venom was injected by the snake. Many
bites, (20-30%) have little or no venom injected, and those patients do well
with minimal treatment. They *should* still seek medical attention,
however, if there is any sort of puncture wound, as these snakes are not too
particular where they put their teeth, and can inject tetanus-causing
bacteria along with, or instead of, venom. Signs of a significant
envenomation include rather immediate swelling, blackish discolouration, and
usually, but not always, pain at the site of the bite. Anyone with those
symptoms, should go immediately to the nearest hospital emergency
department, by helicopter if necessary, as rapid treatment may make the
difference between salvage or loss of a hand or limb, if not life or death.
Most bites occur on the hands or feet, as a result of putting them into
crevices and under rocks where snakes like to rest, therefore, if you live
in an area where poisonous snakes, lizards, spiders and scorpions are
sharing the trails, dress accordingly, and don't put your hands or feet into
places you can't see into. Once in the hospital, tests are done that help
determine the degree of envenomation, and treatment given accordingly. If
possible, bring the (deceased) snake to the hospital for identification,
leaving the head and last 6 inches of the tail intact, as these are the
parts used to identify the beastie. Be aware that dead snake-heads can do a
bite by means of a reflex. Do *not* ignore the potential seriousness of
snakebite, or attempt to treat it at home with herbs and poultices.