ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Panting and the heat

Re: [endurance] Panting and the heat

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Mon, 03 Jun 1996 10:11:09 -0500 (EST)

Lewis Hollander wrote:

> A few thoughs on resperation. {snip}......
> Now at the vet check, hold one nostril of
> the horse as the vet takes the resperation. This forces the horse to take
> deep breaths and half as many. The vet can not watch the head and the flank
> at the same time. NOW you have NOT corrected the problem just fooled the
> vet. You still need to cool down the horse. You have now taken over the
> responsibility of your horses care use it wisely

I find that this is deeply disturbing! We have hired the vets with
OUR entry fees to assist us in managing the horse with the HORSE'S
BEST INTEREST AT HEART!! The vets cannot perform their job if they
are given incorrect information on the horse's vital signs like
respirations. Pinching a nostril to lower respirations, then
managing the horse privately to one side is unethical in my mind!

Mr. Hollander states that you have not corrected the problem,
granted. If you are using "tricks" to push your horse and perhaps
try to win a CTR or go on in an endurance ride, you may find yourself
in a crisis away from help. The vet staff will say, "The horse
presented a good (or a mixed) picture at the last stop. I don't know
what happened."

The vets are there as PARTNERS to us in this endeavor of long
distance riding. We owe it to our horses, ourselves, and the vets to
be as honest as possible. We need to share any information we have
with the vets to help them in their assessment of our horse so he can
continue safely (or take that trailer ride back to base camp :-( )
The vets see a "snap shot" of the horse where as we know them well &
are with them constantly on the trail.

Please be honest with yourselves & the vets. If your horse is not
really recovering, then maybe it wasn't your day at that ride. There
are always other rides to try. Don't risk your horse's well being on
a few points at a CTR or on continuing for that one ride!

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"