ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] feeding fat

Re: [endurance] feeding fat

Lewis Hollander (lewis@bendnet.com)
Sat, 25 May 1996 23:18:56 -0700

Hi Lynn;
First I would reference you to my book, pages 47-48, 189-190 and
195, (Endurance Riding From Beginning to Winning, Green Mansions Inc, P O
Box 100, Redmond, OR 97756, $17.95) and the next article for my homepage
will be fat feeding for endurance horses. (http://www.endurance.net/hollander)
Are you aware of the work of Slade at U of Colo? He fed fat 12% of
TOTAL FEED. This is a lot of oil, 2 quarts . In my book I suggest several
pellets which achieve the 12% total fat in a more feedable form. A simple
feed is a cup of oil, rice bran ( which is 8% fat) and a product called
FAT-PAK, a prilled fat granulars. This is fed to weaner pigs and is
available at big feed stores, or those servicing hog farmers.
The results are amazing. We have had excellent results feeding fat
for over 20 years. Hanne, my wife was AERC overall champion in 1979 and went
to Holland to the WEG in 1994 all on fat feed.
Best, feed fat