From: helgeson@lansford.ndak.net
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 16:01:19 PDT
Subject: [endurance] Arab's have brains and heart!

Hi everyone,

Been busy with a temporary job, so just getting to my email and run across
three
letter so far of riders having problems with getting their horses to walk
during the ride.
All three riders got tired of "fighting" with their horse and would either give
up or try
and walk the horse. Two riders blamed their horse and said the horses had all
heart
and no brains, (or was that the riders with all heart and no brains). And the
third rider,
who was on the right path, had the attitude that it was somthing that she had
to learn
and work with.

Like Mary Twelveponies always says, "there are NO problem horses, only problem
riders." These horses need to be taught to stay in the gait they are in not
matter what
is going on around them. This all starts with when they are broke to ride. Most
people
are in a hurry to break their horses to ride (30 days or less) and do not teach
them
disipline on the gaits. I am not going to go into who to do that over the
Internet because
of lack of time and space, but if anyone wants to know they can email me.

I did learn a good way to teach a horse to walk that refuses to. I had an
Arabian mare
that did fine when I was riding her at home but would prance and jog me around
on the trail. When she was walking and would try and go into a faster pace I
would pull on the
reins to hold her back and she would fight me. One time she fought me for 30
miles!
Was I tried! Then a trainer told me that when she started to go faster instead
of pulling back on the reins to hold her just pull her around in circles and
keep her in the circle
untill she will walk then let her walk out again. The circle needs to big
enough so that she
can comfortably trot around it but she is not getting any where. The horse will
get tired
of going around in circles, especially if it is not getting any closer to the
other horses and
will slow down to a walk. Just keep doing this and pretty soon the second you
start to
signal the horse to go into the circle she will start to walk. Just don't ever
pull back.

Nancy has the right idea with trying to train the horse before trying to win. I
would suggest
to her that she does not get off the horse and walk him. This just rewards him.
Not only
did she get off his mouth but she got off his back as well! Also I would start
his lessons
at home. Ride with some friends and have them ride by you. When your horse
starts to
take off just calmly put him into circles. Some horses, who have gotten away
with it for alot of years, might take a while to retrain, but the results are
worth it. Just don't ever
let the horse break the gait he is in no matter what the circumstances.

I have trained Arabians for years and have purebred Arabians that will stay in
the gait
I have them in even if someone comes by them at a full gallop! They never fight
me.
Like I said it is all in the training of the horse, not the intelligence of the
horse.

Lynette Helgeson
Diamond-H Ranch
North Dakota

I had to stop and reply to these people and