ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] check ligament surgery and endurance

Re: [endurance] check ligament surgery and endurance

Stephanie Teeter (step@fsr.com)
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 08:57:31 +0800

Hi Mike - congratulations, must have been fun for you. If I was you,
I'd have her ultrasounded, and get a professional opinion. I have
an 8 yr old gelding that I've been bringing along for 4 years, tons
of potential and ready to go. But an injury as a 4 yr old resulted
in a slight irregularity in the way his foot grows out. I've been
hoping that diligent shoing and conditioning will keep him from
having problems, but I'm just now starting to see signs that he may
not make it as a competitive 100 mile horse. He's done 1000 miles
to date, all 50's and 75's. He could probably do
50's forever, but I think to be a real 100 mile horse for years and
years you can't settle for less than perfect. I'm going to have a
complete ultrasound and x-ray done on the pastern and foot and
get a professional opinion.

You may want to do the same if you're looking for a long term
100 mile horse. The investment in time - and the emotional investment
as well - is so great.

good luck - tell me more about your ride! (did she spook much?)

Steph