ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Feed

Re: [endurance] Feed

Glenda Glass (sage@volcano.net)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 00:41:33 -0400

At 02:58 PM 4/17/96 U, you wrote:
> Reply to: RE>>[endurance] Feed
>Hi,
>I am feeding good quality alfalfa 2x day -1 flake per feeding. I do use one
>liquid supplement and electolytes but that is all. I ride 5 days a week/ 1 - 3
>hrs per ride in a hilly area. My horse is a very easy keeper so I have to
be careful
>about extras such as grain. Even when he is in hard work, one cannot can
see or
>feel ribs on this diet and he has a shiny coat. He does not look fat but he
does
>not look like an typical fit endurance horse either. The vet says that he looks
>good, but I think that it is more of a "show horse" good.
> What I am wondering is whether I could get him to be more energetic,
especially
>on hot days with a different supplement. It seems that in the winter he has
>energy to spare but in the summer he slows down a lot. I try to ride in the
>cooler hours of the evening when it is very hot. I would grain him, but I am
>worried about him getting too fat, especially in the summer. I have heard that
>dynamite is a good supplement. Has anyone here used it?
>I am not sure if the problem lies in the conditioning, feeding or supplementing
>dept. The horse is healthy relatively fit but not at top peak. I feel that
there
>is room for improvement.

I use Dynamite Plus and like it. I feed 3 scoops per day as a ride date
approaches and it seems to give extra energy. You might want to try feeding
a mixture of grass or oat hay with the alfalfa. I read in the March 1995
issue of Trail Blazer that straight alfalfa has too much protein and the
calcium/phosphorus ratio is unbalanced. They recommended a forage of no
more than 40% alfalfa with the balance being grass or oat.

Glenda & Tili (going to the first ride of the season this Saturday!)