ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] water supply

Re: [endurance] water supply

LONG JUDY (long.judy@smtpgateway.centigram.com)
Mon, 15 Apr 96 10:08:51 PST

Linda and all--

I used a CamelBak on one day during the Death Valley Encounter in
1993. I don't know what model it is (it belongs to my husband Nick).
The last day of the ride is difficult and you go over the Slate range
in the afternoon. We carried extra water for the horses rather than
ourselves in this case. As I recall, the CamelBak didn't bother me too
much but if I use it again I have some fuzzy tubes to put over the
shoulder straps so it won't bother my shoulders. The straps are sort
of thin. I carried two water bottles in holders on the horse and two
in my waist pack. The waist pack and the CamelBak were ok together
but not wonderful. The bottom of the CamelBak touched the top of the
waist pack at times. Drinking out of the thing was easy and having
the tube right over your shoulder encourages you to drink often since
it is right in your face. The silly thing that I did was give the
horse all the water from the bottles instead of the CamelBak. If I
gave him the CamelBak water I wouldn't have to carry it anymore. Oh
well, hindsight. I would use the CamelBak again.

Marilyn Russell carries four water bottles in holders on the front of
her saddle when she wants to bring extra. It can be a bit bulky but
it works for her. Although water bottles on your waist pack do get in
the way, when I'm being smart I carry water there in case I get
separated from the horse (this happens way more often than I would
care to admit!). I have the same problem that you do, when the pack
is heavy it sometimes interferes with the cantle of the saddle. I
like having the water in the holders in front of me better.

What does everyone else do?

Judy Long
Hayward, California