ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Footwear

[endurance] Footwear

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:45:45 -0500 (EST)

Mary,

You wrote:
> What do all of you wear on your feet and what kind of stirrups do you use?
> I had problems with numbness and soreness on the ball of my foot. I now
>wear Nike basketball shoes with the air chamber in the heel and forefoot.
>They have totally solved my problems. But they don't have a heel and that
> isn't too safe. I've tried regular riding sneakers but my feet got sore in them
>again. I ride in an Aussie saddle with the 4 bar stirrups with a
>pad.

I ride in Horse Shoe riding sneakers by Ropers. They are cheaper
than Ariats & fit my foot better. 100% leather, so the cuffs don't
wear out like on some riding sneakers (such as Steel Riders). I put
an Ariat gel foot bed in - COMFORTABLE!

I would suggest changing out of the 4 bar stirrups!! (Been there,
done that, won't do it again!) I'm riding in the Trail Tech stirrups &
love them. Look for a foot rest of AT LEAST 4" with a closed cell foam
pad. Most stirrup makers are making bars to accommodate a variety of
widths of stirrup leathers.

To improve circulation to my feet, I do "toe lifts" whenever I think
of it & the pace permits. At a walk, I try to take my feet out of
the stirrups briefly, or get off & walk for a bit. Also, make sure
that your shoes are large enough so that they don't constrict your
foot. Your foot swells a bit as the day goes on, which can also
restrict circlation if your shoes fit too snugly.

Hope that this helps.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"