ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] endurance saddles

Re: [endurance] endurance saddles

Diane E. Nelson (nelsonde@ttown.apci.com)
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:11:48 -0400 (EDT)

Although the saddle survey we have been conducting over the past several
weeks is not scientific, nor representative of all saddles in use for
endurance, it has developed into a very enlightening and useful tool.

Marciante saddles are definitely in the minority, only two of all the
respondents have tried and continue to use this brand. However, both
riders liked the saddle and did not encounter any special problems with
fit. And the price was very good.

Orthoflex has both enthusiasts and detractors in its ranks. To sum
briefly--if you have a short-backed horse, almost all Orthoflex models
(this includes endurance & English versions) will cause a problem in the
loin area. Also, a horse with distinct irregularities in its profile may
have trouble accomodating the panels, despite the ability to "shim" the
saddle. High withers are not as much of a problem--most saddles have a
substantial cut-back pommel--its the shape of the shoulder that counts.
If you are looking into used Orthoflex models be aware that the older
panel systems may not work for your horse. However, Orthoflex will
upgrade the older saddle to their newer model panels (for about $250+).
I have also heard that Orthoflex can custom shape panels to accomodate
the shorter-backed horse....but it's not something they do willingly.

A majority of riders, when offering advice about saddles for people just
starting out, recommend going to a used tack store and trying out every
saddle that you feel comfortable in and might fit the horse. The norm
has been to invest literally thousands of dollars in tack before coming
up with a reasonable solution, albeit not always the "perfect" solution.

A very large number of riders have found that the Sports Saddle has been
the best solution to the vexing fit problem.

Ask yourself the following questions:

1) how have I ridden historically (English hunt seat or dressage,
Western pleasure)
2) do I need a narrow twist
3) how much "security" do I need from a saddle (knee rolls, thigh
blocks, etc)
4) how old is my horse and how much will the back change as training
progresses

The answers to these questions will guide you in selecting an appropriate
saddle with which to start out. And it won't be the last saddle you'll
ever buy...trust me on this one!

If you have any other specific questions, I have a considerable amount of
data on many different types of saddles. Email me at safehavn@fast.net.

Good luck--

Diane @ Safe Haven