ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #380

[endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #380

rtsantana@ucdavis.edu
Thu, 04 Apr 96 09:32:02 +0800

HI,
I've seen this as a result of a "lift" type pad being used for the first time.
What seems to happen is the horse has been resisting the rider for so long that
the first tome they have the saddle lifted off their back they do unusual
things, like canter more freely than before the lift pad was used.
Using a pad like the equalizer or PBM or a "Protector Pad" usually frees up
the shoulders and the hind quarters of the horse. Now he can move easier and so
you can use less cue to get him to do what you want. Try reducing the amount of
pressure you apply in your cue. Use the least amount you can.
I once saw a horse that hated to be saddled, get a lifting pad, then he was
so surprized that when he moved forward his front leg travel futher than before
and he almost fell down. He had the most surprized look on his face. He actually
enjoyed the rider.
Look for signs that the horse is acting a little differently. Are his ears in
a different position now than before the pad was added? Is he walking faster
with a longer stride than before? Did he resist saddling befroe and now accepts
it better? All this means a change has taken place, you need to tune in to that
change, "The Horse Will Tell You"!!!!!

//--- forwarded letter

> endurance-digest Thursday, 4 April 1996 Volume 01 : Number 380

> From: videoman <videoman@netcom.com>
> Date: Wed, 03 Apr 1996 20:42:00 -0800
> Subject: [endurance] Equalizer Pad
>
> I tried my new Equalizer pad today for the first time, just for about a one
> hour arena ride (Circle Y sport saddle w/horn). He seemed fairly energetic
> and moving out well, but one weird thing! When I would sit back, lift my
> hands and ask him to running walk he got totally confused and would pick up
> the canter every few strides, break to a trot when I corrected him and then
> break to pace, then back to the canter, etc. Maybe just a couple strides of
> each. Was very *interesting* to ride. When I posted he gave me an
> energetic pace with less confusion, though he kept breaking to a canter
> everytime I applied a leg aid to ask for bend, etc. He does not normally
> care to canter, so this is very odd. He knows his gait cues fairly well.
> He will pace when I post or stand in stirrups and do running walk when I sit
> down and pick up my hands. Today he was very confused!
>
> I wonder if the equalizer pad is giving him some extra bounces or something
> that are confusing him. Anyone have a suggestion on what may be causing it?
> I'm sure with work we'll get our cues back in order, but it would help if I
> knew what was giving him the confusing "extra" cues. My normal canter cue
> is sit deep, outside leg and light neck rein towards the inside for the lead.
>
> Otherwise, the pad was comfortable for me and seemed to be so for him too.
> I did see knots on his loins still, but no dry spot - sweating was even.
> And the knots were significantly less then ususal. Do you think a back
> cinch would help this? Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it and hope this solves
> the problem.

Ray Santana
UC Davis Medical Center
Network Operations