ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Horse Hair Source Needed

[endurance] Horse Hair Source Needed

Nancy Welborn (nancyw@bendnet.com)
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 11:28:14 -0800

You wrote:
>A friend of mine went to Iceland last spring and learned to do horse
>hair spinning. She is obligated to teach a class in the SCA in June, but
>has been having serious troubles finding a source of supply.
>
>She is looking for mane or tail hair (or both so long as it is not
>intermixed) that is at least 4 inches (10cm) long. The class will
>be held in Washington down by the Columbia river but she lives in the
>Seattle area.
>
>If anyone can help us out with either horse hair or a possible contact,
>please let us know. Unfortunately, the class may have to be cancelled if
>we can't find any sources of hair to spin.

Dear Susan:
I saw your post and was interested in your class. I called our
local slaughterhouse in Redmond, Oregon, and was informed of the
following:
They sell tails (unprocessed, which means uncleaned with some hide still
attached.) The cost is $3.00 ea. if someone picks them up, or $5.00 each
if they package and ship them (mixed colors).
At present this company does not save mane hair (because there is no
demand for it.) However, I was told that, if enough was needed to make
it worth their while, they would clip and package it (again, mixed and
unprocessed) for shipment. Cost would have to be determined (somewhat
more than the tails, she said.)
As for cleaned and processed hair, I was unsuccessful in obtaining any
information or possible sources. If you are interested in the above,
please let me know. Also, would you please send more details on the
class? Will it be open to anyone?

Nancy
nancyw@bendnet.com