ridecamp@endurance.net: re: [endurance] dressage mag

re: [endurance] dressage mag

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 17:32:11 -0800 (PST)

The research was on dressage horses as a sidebar to COMBINED TRAINING. It
was conducted in 1993. The work in training isn't really that terribly
different though. The 4 minutes spent by a XT competitor during the first
day of a horse trial isn't representative of the work that an event horse
performs to get there. I've spent 25 years in combined training (trials)
and only since the 80's in endurance (as a fun break from wool jackets
and protective vests.) I'm sure any TB I've trained for, at least, a year
is very capable of completing a fast fifty. I've never entered a XT horse
in any endurance ride as I'm deathly afraid the much larger body would be
more inclined to injury. Though I have several friends that do
wonderfully with TBs. I digress. The athleticly fit horse in XT for whom
the research was conducted offers very simular metabolic rates to that of
my Arab.

The perceived problem was that European competitors like Mary Thompson
were worried about the climate in Atlanta. I could look up the published
results once I return to my office in about 2-2 1/2 weeks. Or I'm sure
Mike has it at his fingertips as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~tomydore@goblin.punk.net~~DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu~
www HOMEPAGE http://www.slonet.org/~tcrocket