ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance]:Our first ride!

Re: [endurance]:Our first ride!

LONG JUDY (long.judy@smtpgateway.centigram.com)
Tue, 26 Mar 96 11:05:33 PST

Sue Cunningham wrote:

>We were thinking of trying an English hackamore. We can ride him in a scawbrig
>at home, but it simply doesn't have enough stopping power to ....

OK, what is an English hackamore (I might be able to guess) and what in the heck
is a scawbrig?

I have the same problems with my horse being excited around others.
Unfortunately, he doesn't have the excuse of being young (he's 12) or
inexperienced (he has 1570 endurance miles).

Your horse may calm down in time and with some more experience. Is he calm on a
trail ride with a group? Warpaint is pretty high strung and doesn't do well on
trail rides. I use a kimberwick with slots in the rings. It has a solid
mouthpiece with a slight port in the center. This is what I use on endurance
rides for brakes. Warpaint doesn't have great brakes, but this bit puts me
somewhat in control. After about 10-12 miles he settles down. Perhaps a
longer distance would help with your horse. If I fight with mine he just gets
more upset.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's stories about excited horses and
what they have done with them (successfully or not). I am probably known for
having the most miserable, wild, and out of control starts (at least there isn't
any bucking!). I have pretty much resigned myself to it and I'm happy when he
calms down after a few miles. It used to be a wild ride until after the first
vet check.

I'm looking forward to getting back out there! (sort of...)

Judy Long
Hayward, California