ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] dehydration colic

[endurance] dehydration colic

rsantana@ucdavis.edu
Tue, 19 Mar 96 12:07:52 +0800

Chris,
It sounds like your horse's metabolism was conitioned for the electrolyte
and came to expect them. When he failed to receive the regular doses, per your
note, his body began to use up the water from his gut and his blood stream.
The lack of electrolytes in quanities he was used to caused his muscle cells
to give up their water to the blood stream, thus the low blood volume, thus
the blue gums. He drank well but couldn't get enough water to the muscle
cells! You're lucky he did not tieup or worse. I've seen this cause fatigue
syndrome and death in horses.
Evaluate your electrolyte mix for proper balance of potassium, good for
the muscles, and calcium. I don't give as much electrolyte as you do, my
horses also don't go very fast either, my choice.
Watch the horse's way of going. You were right in that you noticed him
getting tired, more than usual, that should have told you something was amiss.
Pay attention to those little changes. Only you know the horse well enough.
Don't expect a vet who is a stranger to this horse to know he might be in
trouble. SPEAK UP and let you thought be known. Is winning or finishing so
important that you would let a horse die! Not saying you would but just
generalizing there.

Good luck on your next ride.

//--- forwarded letter -------------------------------------------------------

> ------------------------------
>
> From: Chris Procyk <procyk19@sgi.net>
> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 23:40:53 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: [endurance] dehydration colic
>
> On my last 50 mile endurance ride my horse "crashed" at about 45 miles.

> I always begin electrolytes (my veterinarian mixes them for me) three days
prior
> to a ride. I then administer 1 once of electrolytes at each hold depending
on
> how well he is drinking.
> Diagnosis
> Dehydration colic.
>
> My question is is how can I avoid this in the future. What other signs are
> there
> for this besides the initial fatigue factor. In other words, how did I miss
> this?
> I have almost 700 miles competing and have never had a problem like this in
the
> past.

Ray Santana
UC Davis Medical Center