ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] endurance /self carriage

Re: [endurance] endurance /self carriage

MARISA---,'-@ ("MARISA---,'-@")
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 19:48:41 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Gwen Dluehosh wrote:

> I don't agree with the all of the Arab carriage thing. I would like for
> Diane to watch my stallion at the next ride we go to. He carries himself
> with his entire bodyrounded and can stretch out EASILY at the trot to keep
> up with a canter. In fact, he's a "trotter" and only canters on the track
> and if he REALLY wants to catch up. We have a lot of control over what we
> do on trail and he has a good rhythm with his head and neck which are
> carried quite low compared to some Arabs i have seen.

I would like to second this! Special just had the usual "working trot",
till I started doing dressage with her and she learned "long & low", and
to accept contact. Then I started riding with a lady who's mare can
*TROT*. Now Special has a -killer- long trot!! She rounds her back up,
the head stretches out and down, and she goes to town. When she's really
going well her head is very low, but she's not heavy on the forehand.
She's just well rounded and going for it! She can trot the speed of an
average collected canter. Don't know the mph... If I let her canter,
all she wants to do is RUN. She gets all high and starts arguing with
me. But if I keep her to a trot, it's really incredible. The one
drawback is--that long trot is a -bitch- to post.

> but I think she is describing the more "showring" type Arab
> which is a naturally more upright type of horse- you all know the type- the
> English pleasure/Park types. The knees come up really high naturally and so
> do the hocks.

Believe it or not, this is what Special was -bred- for. She was supposed
to do saddle seat & park classes. Her sire was a saddle seat champion.
But personally, I think she's much happier doing trails & endurance.....I
know I am *:)

Thanks alot for all your answers to my conditioning question!

purpl2@teleport.com * less to remember.... *