ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Rubbing over loin area

Re: [endurance] Rubbing over loin area

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 00:20:26 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996 rsantana@ucdavis.edu wrote:

> To all who have the loin rubbing problem.
> Having fitted many horses with this problem I feel I can respond to this
> question. The arab seems especially prone to this problem, and more so in the
> endurance horse, because of high head carriage and hollow backs. This causes
> the saddle to "bridge " the horses back, that is, it is placing excessive
> pressure on the rear and front of the saddle suspension area (the bars or the
> tree). If you have this kind of fit problem you can usually take care of the
> problem with a lift pad such as a PBM, or the new Equine Innovations Protector

If this problem is indeed caused by high head carriage and hollow backs
(I wouldn't know, Ihave never experienced it), a very good solutionto it
would be to get your horse to bringhis nose down and round his back.

I have noticed that a high nose and hololow back (i.e. myu horse is not
on the bit) causes him to forge at the trot. Longing over cavaletti to
strungthen the underline so it can support the riders weight over long
distances is an excellent exercise to develop the abilty to maintain a
rounded back throughout the ride. Of course, the horse must be bitted up
for this exercise to work properly.

kat