ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Rubbing over loin area

[endurance] Rubbing over loin area

rsantana@ucdavis.edu
Wed, 13 Mar 96 08:09:36 +0800

To all who have the loin rubbing problem.
Having fitted many horses with this problem I feel I can respond to this
question. The arab seems especially prone to this problem, and more so in the
endurance horse, because of high head carriage and hollow backs. This causes
the saddle to "bridge " the horses back, that is, it is placing excessive
pressure on the rear and front of the saddle suspension area (the bars or the
tree). If you have this kind of fit problem you can usually take care of the
problem with a lift pad such as a PBM, or the new Equine Innovations Protector
Pad. This pad is triple thick cushion material, rubber compunds in two outer
layers and a gel middle layer, which lifts the saddle off the loins and off the
shoulder of the horse. This can help the horse move better too by freeing up
the shoulder.
Orth-Flex saddles have this rubbing problem for several reasons. The saddle
is very long in the suspension area, tending to touch too far back on the loins
and also has been known to interfere with shoulder movement. The lift pads
mentioned above will help relieve this problem.
The "booties" also add to the problem. They move when the saddle moves
causing rubbing all along the back of the horse. This would be like carrying a
pack on your back with no shirt on. You would get rubbed by the movement of the
pack. Use a good thin flece blanket or better yet try one of the Equilon
latex/vinyl pads. This pad will provide a layer against which the saddle can
move and not rub against the back of your horse.

JUST THINK. IF THE HORSE IS NOT HURTING ANY MORE MAYBE HE CAN DO BETTER ON
THOSE LONG RIDES!!!!!
(I meant to shout above)

//--- forwarded letter -------------------------------------------------------

> To: endurance-digest@moscow.com
> Subject: endurance-digest V1 #342
>
> endurance-digest Wednesday, 13 March 1996 Volume 01 : Number
342

> End of endurance-digest V1 #342

Ray Santana
UC Davis Medical Center