ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #337

[endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #337

rsantana@ucdavis.edu
Tue, 12 Mar 96 12:57:36 +0800

Kevin & Diane,

I had to respond to your survey results and am slightly irritated by it. I
appreciate what you have done greatly, and do not want you feel I am angry at you
in particular.
I want to get my knowledge and opinions input to this survey as well.
I was sadened to see the Australian style saddles came out so low on this list. I
have been fitting and selling these saddles for over 10 years and find them to be
very useful for endurance riding as well as general trail riding.
Your observations regarding fit being key to a comfortable ride are accurate,
for if the saddle doesn't fit the horse you shouldn't ride in it. First fit the
horse then fit the rider.
Australian saddles have gotten a bit of a bad rap because of their popularity
and the importation of inferior quality saddles built in "Asian" countries. Most
notably are the "Indian made" saddles which use a very poorly tanned hide and use
who-knows-what for stuffing. We've found straw in some of these!
I am familiar with the Syd Hill line of saddles and have fitted hundreds of
horses and riders with excellent results. Most of the problems have been caused
by by the rider selecting a new horse and not caring about the saddle fit. We fit
arab horses every day and have done so for 10+ years!
Saddles come in many sizes shapes, styles and materials. Saddlers have indeed
made an effort to design saddles in different fit ranges so that fitting the
arabin horse hsould be no problem. The problem comes from inexperienced or
dishonest sellers combined with buyers not knowledgeable about saddle fit. Thus
we get saddle makers and sellers telling you, the buyer, that "this saddle will
fit any horse you put it on."
We have seen many problems and many solutions but none substitutes for a well
fitting saddle. The Ortho-Flex saddle has it's own set of problems most common of
which is the sore loins or hair rubbed off the loins. Brown's tells the owners
that this is not hurting the horse. I say let me rub your head until the hair
falls out and you tell me if it hurts!
I suppose we need to ask something about this survey then.

1. how many people actually received this questionaire
2. how many responded
3. was the survey done in the form of questions to be answered.

Yes, fitting a saddle can be frustrating. We always let people try the saddle
with a generous return policy. (14 days). We can fit a saddle for you by using a
picture of the horse. We do not tell you this saddle will fit any horse, that's
an impossibility!
If you are getting white spots the saddle was never properly fitted to
begin with. It's wrong to wait for that to happen. There are methods to tell if
you are having a fit problem with your current saddle whether the horse is sore
or not. Check the fit every time you rmove the saddle by examining the sweat
patterns. Dry spots indicate too tight a fit and you'll get white hairs there
eventually. Look at the skin texture all along the back. Poorly fit areas will
have a wrinkled look or the skin when pinched gently will not feel like it is
adhered to the underlying structures any more. Compare the texture to an area the
saddle does not touch such as the shoulder. Again the skin should all feel and
look the same. Damaged areas will have different feel and look to it.
I hope you haven't taken offense at my remarks. If I said anything you want
carified please write back to lket me know. I believe educating the buyer and the
horseman are important to our business being successfull.

Ray Santana
UC Davis Medical Center
Network Operations
raymond.santana@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu