ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] sweating patterns/saddle fit (was saddle shoppi

Re: [endurance] sweating patterns/saddle fit (was saddle shoppi

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Wed, 06 Mar 1996 14:04:55 -0500 (EST)

Tina,

You wrote:

> I've always heard that dry spots or uneven sweating was an indicator of bad
> saddle fit. However, there have been times that I've unsaddled Tony and
> noticed what Roger mentioned - dry spots behind the withers.
> I'm wondering how much correlation is there really to sweating patterns on
> the back and saddle fit?

Dry areas under the saddle may not necessarily correlate with an
immediate, obvious lameness. They very often correlate with some degree of
back tenderness - it takes some skill to assess some horses who may
otherwise be very stoic about discomfort.

Dry spots are areas that have received so much pressure over a period
of time that the circulation (ie nutrition, oxygen, etc) has been cut
off to that area. The sweat glands respond by not functioning. This
is an early sign of pressure. Long term, chronic pressure will
result in white hairs in that area as the hair follicle is unable to
produce color because of injury to the area. (This may be where having
a grey horse is an advantage - nobody will know that you screwed up &
used a poor-fitting saddle while searching for the ideal fit in the
GREAT SADDLE HUNT!) Some horses may have subtle thickening under
the dry areas as scar tissue begins to form. More acute cases of
pressure injury will result in open sores that are disabling.

All of this supposes that you ARE riding long enough for the back to
actually sweat, of course. If a saddle fit changes as a horse
gains/looses weight, it is sometimes possible to use therapeutic pads
to assist with a better fit. However, a poor fitting saddle with a
GREAT PAD is STILL a poor fitting saddle!

If your horse is consistently forming dry spots, ask a person who is
experienced in saddle fitting to help assess your horse AND your
riding style! Your horse will perform better and you will be much
happier together.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"