ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Horse Wet Weather Gear

Re: [endurance] Horse Wet Weather Gear

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:13:19 -0500 (EST)

Tina Hicks wrote:

> What about rainwear for horses? I mean when you are camping the night
> before (for instance), the horse is outside in the pen in the wide open and
> the botton falls out...do any of you use rain sheet of any sort or do you
> just let the horse stay soaked all night? Or maybe put the horse on the
> trailer?

We don't get much sleep in the trailer ourselves (& neither do
neighbors) if the horses are in the trailer due to rain - too much
stomping and shifting. We use a water proof amish-made blanket in
cold weather (sold by Mary Coleman of PA). In summer, they either
get wet, or we'll put a rain sheet on them.

I think the horses are more comfortable if they can move about rather
than stand confined on the trailer. ONE EXCEPTION - HAIL!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"