ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] NBC Coverage of Equestrian Sports during Olympics

[endurance] NBC Coverage of Equestrian Sports during Olympics

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 12:40:08 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> Subject: Re: NBC's coverage of the games/WSJ article
>
> Did anyone catch the article in the Wall Street Journal about the Olympic
> committee forcing a few "lesser" events to downsize? I can't remember if
> it was yesterday's or the day before, but one of the events listed was
> equestrian. The article talked more about modern pentathelon (sp?) and
> didn't mention equestrian other than the list of events. Andy and I were
> trying to figure out how they would thin the events. I kept thinking
> that it's the Cross Country courses that are causing the problem, as
> every time they are so controversial. But that would destroy 3DE. What
> about endurance or driving?

Gee, when I'd mentioned Endurance in my post of yesterday i actually was
refering to the X-C phase of 3-day. Sometimes called the endurance phase of
Horse Trials. Endurance itself is just coming into it's own, in this
country, as far as reconition goes. Just like Jazz has a large world
audience, but comparitively small in the country of it's birth, Endurance
shares that distinction. Now that USET has brought our sport into it's
fold we'll see what the International Olympic Committee thinks in the
foreseeable future. Heck the WEG has long embraced it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~tomydore@goblin.punk.net~~DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu~