ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] How much grain?

Re: [endurance] How much grain?

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:52:23 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, PETER PLOUGH wrote:

> week. What about a grain treat the night before a long ride. We were
> doing average 15 miles every weekend until a few weeks ago when the
> rain started. I see him both days but one is easier then the other.
>
> So any grain (oats) would be as an extra. How much could I give? I do
> not want to chance him colicing or inadvertantly hurt him.

Hello Kimberly,

Just be careful not to overgrain or upset your horse's regularity. It's a
pretty simple formula and distance horses definately require reserves of
water, energy and electrolytes to perform for up to 12 hours on a fifty
and so on.

The "normal" equine needs 15 Mcals per 1000 pounds (Mcal=1,000 cal) for
maintance energy. Just figure the additional energy at approximately .75
Mcals per mile. It's easier to get the energy through grain as the
average pound of hay to about 1.1Mcal per pound. It's unlikely the horse
will eat more then his appetite restrictions will allow at a ride or even
just before with the additonal nervous vibes of a ride. After many many
rides Rebel knows whats up and won't eat more then he needs. Again make
up the additional energy in grain but don't use a different GRAIN THEN
HE'S USED TO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~tomydore@goblin.punk.net~~DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu~