ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Winter riding/Keeping warm

Re: [endurance] Winter riding/Keeping warm

Linda Merims (lbm@ici.net)
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 15:53:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, KAREN CHATON wrote:
> Also, has anybody tried the Ariat WINTER boots? I was wondering how
> well they work - down to what temperature? How do they do getting
> wet - and going thru mud and snow?...

I bought a pair of these last year and used them throughout last
winter. I think that they are only somewhat warmer than
plain paddock boots. Even with the boots, under socks, and
winter hiking-type socks, my feet still get cold, and the process
doesn't seem to be much slowed. If anything, I think the
gel is the most effective insulator against the cold ground,
and the regular boots have that, anyway. I was thinking
of supplementing them with electric socks because they don't
do the job by themselves.

The way the soles attach to the main boot uppers (sort of
like rubber seamlessly merging into leather) does seem to
be effective at preventing moisture and slush from infiltrating
when I step in squishy muck, like when I'm fetching my
horse in from the paddock. I've never gotten my uppers really
wet, so I've no opinion on that count.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA