ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Winter riding/Keeping warm

Re: [endurance] Winter riding/Keeping warm

Mark A. Thayer (mathayer@cs.unm.edu)
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 11:01:30 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, KAREN CHATON wrote:

> I have a couple of questions for all you cold-climate people (it was
> 14 degrees this a.m. here) - Just how do you keep your EARS warm when
> you wear a helmet? I didn't have this problem last winter because I
> wasn't wearing a helmet yet. I find that there isn't room for a

I wear a lightweight polypropylene balaclava (sp?) -- basically a full
head/face covering. If I don't want to cover my face I just fold it
up so it's all under the helmet. These are sold as accessories for
bicycle riders.

You might need to change to thinner pads inside the helmet to get a
good fit.

I also try to spend just about all my time at a posting trot. Keeps
me warm, and in cold weather, better for the horse (IMHO). We start
out at a *very* slow trot, but I post to it anyway. We do just enough
canter work to maintain rythym and balance; too much and (I think) you
produce a lot of sweat, but not much more in the way of improved
condition.

> Does anybody do anything extra for their horse when they ride them in
> really cold and/or windy conditions? I make sure not to bring them
> home hot or sweaty, and will usually put a cooler on them and walk
> them for a while anyway. I'd like to know if anybody else out there
> also rides when it's below freezing? Sometimes I don't have a choice
> -today our high temp is supposed to be 36.

I think wind is more a problem than cold. If it's really blowing, I
won't ride, just spend a little time doing groundwork. More for her
brain than her body.

I think Mother Nature protects them pretty well as long as we don't
push too hard. I try to pace the workout so that, although we're
still trotting at the end, it's down to a pace that's essentially ok
for cooling off. Strip tack quickly, a brisk toweling off for the
sweaty spots under the saddle, then back into the stall with a little
hay to munch on. If it's really cold I'll put the wool cooler on her
and just hang around for awhile, then take the cooler off.

One nice thing about riding when it's cold -- everyone else is inside,
and you feel like you have the world to yourself.

Best regards,

Mark Thayer
Albuquerque, New Mexico
USA