ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Chewing wood

Re: [endurance] Chewing wood

The Purple Demon (purpl2@teleport.com)
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 16:17:45 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 2 Dec 1995 Arapaloosa@aol.com wrote:

> Perhaps this is true, but I also think that they chew wood because it has
> something in it that they like. Nutritionally. I know a woman who observed
> wild and feral horses. She said that they eat wood, woody stems, leaves,
> berries, etc. I have observed my horses doing the same thing.

Special loves Blackberries! It's so cute the way she peels back her lips
and grabs -just- the blackberry with her teeth!

As far as eating wood goes...Special has, on many occasions, chewed on
dead logs that were layin on the ground. We ride alot in "old growth"
where there are logs laying on the ground that are pretty rotten with
lots of moss growing on them. Special will eat the moss off of a log,
and eat the bark too. (The last occasion was a time I stopped for lunch,
sat on such a log, and left her on her long rope to munch. She chose to
munch on the log I was sitting on.) Another time I stopped by an old
tree (still standing), and while I was fiddling with tack, she started
eating the bark on this old tree. She's -not- cribbing. She actually
bites it off, and chews it up!

Strange....

Ma The Purple Demon ---,'-@ ** Good things **
sa purpl2@teleport.com--Ptld. OR *** who...whine!! ***