ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: [endurance] distance veterinarians

RE: [endurance] distance veterinarians

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 05:59:31 -0500 (EST)

Yes, PLEASE support and teach local AAEPs.
What she is saying is incredibly true... YOu guys remember that I was trying
to get a ride together here through our SCAAEP? Well it backfired on me-if
you want apathy, come see our great vet students who would rather go to a
bought and paid for hunter show and learn nothing than go to a nice
endurance ride and learn more. ( I do like showing too, don't forget!)

This is not true of ALL my colleagues, but for the vast majority it IS true,
especially among the horse people/vet students. In fact some of themost avid
endurance people at school aren't even IN AAEP!!! I thought when I got here,
finally, less politics, I will be able to show people what they are
missing... boy, I goofed, how could I ever assume that??? IN fact, I got
handily VOTED OUT of AAEP officerdom because I wasn't uniform enough I
guess. I too am recognized as the Arab person who rides crazy-- but my
horses could hold up any time to a hunter show.

I raised questions no one wants to deal with, wanted to know why
there was little or no opportunity to participate in horse research at
school and wanted to get another equine scholarship started with a ride!
All I have gotten are half hearted yeses, and when it comes down to it, the
officers are the ones who end up DOING EVERYTHING when we have events. I
have been backed out more on than I care to say. Several of our advisors are
negative/pessimistic about our abilities in doing things with vet school
studies-but geez, I thought we were supposed to be super students! And life
is not all about studying.

Sorry to blow off all this steam, but I can't believe how negatively people
perceive the Arab community. (sorry for this, all non arab owners!) I raise
mine to act like normal, everyday horses, and often I am an oddity at shows
here beacuse the horses do fine. I just hate wearing those darn britches and
boots!! I have had several vet colleagues actually say to my face that arabs
are nuts and they'd never touch one, much less ride one. Yet they won't, or
rarely, come out to see what I have!

I am very interested in doing research on horses-endurance horses to be
exact, but all we have are treadmill nutrition studies here. I want to do
more with horses-learn AI, colic stuff, and everything else I can get my
hands on! SOme of it we will learn next year, but other things are lacking.
If any one hears of any good programs during the summer, PLEASE let me know.
This got really convoluted... anyway, we need vets to come down and lecture
us vets to beon endurance. Would you believe my group turned down an offer
by Dr. Jeannie Waldron to come and talk about endurance? I could have killed.

Gwen (stagnating on cats and dogs in Blacksburg, but who still likes vet
school anyway)
PS< SHannon, can you give me an idea about how you do your speech? I would
love to do the same down here, but am not quite sure how to get people
interested in the sport...

loomis.102@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shannon Loomis) writes:

> I fully agree with this as I am a member of the OSU SCAAEP (Ohio State
> University Student Chapter of the American Association of Equine
> Practitioners). These people (students) know NOTHING about distance
> riding. Most are from a showing, racing, or nonhorse background. I am an
> anomoly. I give at least one speech a year to the SCAAEP to get future
> vets interested in distance riding. I think supporting your local chapter
> is a very good idea. Several seniors went to Helen Cantrell's ride this
> year and were very surprised at the veterinarians level of importance (did
> that sentence make any sense at all?). Education is the key! Unless you
> can get more students interested (or at least informed) the pool of vets
> needed to support distance riding will not increase at the same speed
> interest in the sport is increasing.
>
> I am trying my darndest to get more OSU students interested in what I am
> doing. Many recognize me as "that strange person who rides a long way"
> without any real comprehension as to why I do it or what it entails. In
> Ohio, at least, we need to do a lot more to get recognition and
> understanding from nonendurance veterinarians and vet students. After
> all, the endurance horse is not your average beast.
>
> Shannon Loomis and Quail Meadow Star
>
> PS Anyone who has videos, slides, photos, or an already made-up
> presentation--please contact me. I am trying to set up a standard speech
> that I can give at meetings and to interested groups. Thanks.

| Gwen Dluehosh "Pretty enough to show, |
| Desert Storm Arabians (| |)_____ tough enough |
| 2249 Mt. Tabor Rd / \ \__=___ to RIDE." |
| Blacksburg, VA 24060 (= + =) \___=___ |
| 540/953-1792 \ + / \__=____ |
| dluehosh@vt.edu | + | \____=___ |
| Endurance/racing ()+() \ _______ |
| halter stock available \_/ |