ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Cellular phones & riding

Re: [endurance] Cellular phones & riding

The Purple Demon (purpl2@teleport.com)
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 20:24:22 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Greg & Kathy Seibolt wrote:

> We have both...my husband has a bag phone, for his business, in the
> truck. It is more powerful than a hand-held, yet portable so we can
> move it from his truck to mine (thus, it can always go with the hauling
> vehicle). I have a hand-held that goes in my fanny pack, and although
> there are areas that I can't get out, generally, a hilltop is closer
> than the truck. And, regarding being out of touch with you hectic
> life...(this is the part *I* like best...) you just trun the darn thing
> off. Turn it on only when *you* want to use it.
>
> I ride a lot by myself...so the 3 person advice is out for me...I was
> out this weekend exploring new trails by myself, and realized I didn't
> have my phone with me. Arghhhh...It's nice to know that I can phone
> home if I get lost and let my husband know I am going to be "late for
> dinner"...HELP!!
>
> If I had to choose between a truck phone and a hand-held, I'd take the
> hand-held for versatility

We have a hand-held celular phone too. I *LOVE* having it with me in the
rig, and it's come in handy more times than I can count. My husband and
I have talked before about me taking the celular with me when I go
riding. (I too ride by myself) But I don't think it would work out in
the woods. We've also talked about getting a couple of high powered
walkie-talkies so that if something went wrong I could radio for help,
but haven't done it yet..... It's nice to know that other people have
thought about taking their celular phones with them. Now I don't feel
quite so silly.
Marisa

Ma The Purple Demon ---,'-@ ** Good things **
sa purpl2@teleport.com--Ptld. OR *** who...whine!! ***