From: owner-endurance
To: Endurance List; Natural Horsemanship List
Subject: [endurance] Re: child safety
Date: Friday, November 10, 1995 10:07AM

An update...

First: many thanks to all of you who responded, both publicly and
privately. The subject clearly touches a nerve.

Second: the board had a special meeting last night specifically to
address this issue. Not much was accomplished in terms of concrete
results, but everyone a) kept their temper under control, and b) had a
chance to be heard. A good first step.

Because the Association is not-for-profit, there's no owner or manager
that can lay down the rules, and be there all the time to enforce them.
The directors can't throw someone out for being stupid (much as they
might like to). The issues of liabiity and responsibility, both legal
and moral, are complex.

I'm cautiously optimistic. If we work through this, we'll be a stronger
community. And the little girl and her parents (and other parents and
boarders, as well) will all learn something. In the meantime, I'm going
to offer (as tactfully as I can manage) to help the young lass learn how
to *play* with her horse, as the first step toward rebuilding the
relationship. One step at a time.

Again, my thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.

Best regards,

Mark Thayer
Albuquerque, New Mexico
USA