ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Strangles Question

Re: [endurance] Strangles Question

Stacy A Berger (Stacy_A_Berger@ccm.sc.intel.com)
Wed, 08 Nov 1995 12:06:46 -0500

I have had bad experiences with the strangles vaccination and do not
use it anymore. I used to board at a place where there were at
least a couple of cases a year and decided that I had better
vaccinate agaist it. In my case my horse had a pretty bad reaction
to the vaccination and although didn't require veterinary treatment it
was pretty scary for about 12 hours. I have since moved my horses
to a smaller facility (my place finally!) and do not vaccinate any more
for strangles. I also try to stay aware of known cases in the area or
anywhere that I am going so that I can avoid bringing my horses in
contact.

Text item:

Strangles are a mess - and they are highly contagious. I believe that young and
old horses are most suseptible. I used to board at a stable with a large
population of horses - about 75 on a small area(about 10 acres total including
the house, 2 arenas, 3 barns). Anyways one year there were 4 cases of
strangles. The horses that got it were not next to each other, nor were they
very young or very old. There did not seem to be any pattern.

Due to the outbreak, several friends innoculated their horses (a 2-3 series
shot, then annual booster I believe). Anyways, one of the horses got strangles
from the shot - he came down with it the following day. The veterinarian did
advise us that a couple of horses had gotton strangles from the vaccination.
This happened about 8-9 years ago, maybe the vaccine has been improved (?)

Stacy Berger
Morgan Hill, CA

Text item: External Message Header