ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Boots

Re: [endurance] Boots

Greg & Kathy Seibolt (bordrcrk@ix.netcom.com)
Sat, 28 Oct 1995 17:39:09 -0700

Virginia wrote:
> Could someone explain to me the rationale of competitive rides in
> not allowing boots on horses? Why can't they just assess a fixed
> point penalty and let me compete with boots instead of telling me
> I can't use equipment my horse needs? I know he's not a clean mover
> sometimes (like when he's excited, tired or spooking), but it seems
> mean to make him hit himself just because the rules say he's a
better
> trail horse if he doesn't. Thoughts? Comments? Thanks.

I don't know if your are referring to ECTRA or NATRC or some other
sanctioning body, but this was a big issue last year for NATRC. Some
people wanted to use various forms of shoeing for reasons similar to
your need for boots. They even offered to ride HDC (a french acronym
meaning outside the competition...in other words, ineligible for
awards, but they would receive a score card, and could ride the trails
with their friends).

But, no go. Two of the five basic philosophies of NATRC are :
(1)To stimulate greater interest in the breeding and use of good horses
possessed of stamina and hardiness and qualified to make good mounts
for trail use.
(2) To demonstrate the value of type and soundness in the proper
selection of horses for competitive riding.

To allow a horse who interferes to wear boots for protection would go
against these philosophies. They did not even want to santion a ride
that would allow such a horse to compete, fearing it would imply that
they were condoning the selection and use of a horse inappropriate for
trail riding. If you want a better explanation, e-mail me, and I'll
give you the name and number of a NATRC Board Member who would be happy
to explain it further.

BTW, if your horse is interferring, have your farrier check the lateral
balance of the hooves. My horse interferred (had to wear ankle boots)
until my farrier did some serious measuring "stuff", and I believe my
horse was long on the inside. The farrier made an adjustment, and the
horse has been fine since (4 years ago).

You might want to try endurance - limited distance.

Hope this helps.
Kathy
Border Creek Farm
bordrcrk@ix.netcom.com