From: owner-endurance
To: Dominique Freeman
Cc: endurance; linda_cowles
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [endurance] loops?
Date: Thursday, October 19, 1995 9:01AM

On Oct 19, 7:17am, Dominique Freeman wrote:
> Subject: Re[2]: [endurance] loops?
> Sam,
> This is exactly my feeling. I suspect if we were to get too
> *picky* about going to rides, we would rapidly run out of
> rides to go to. In addition, a whiny complaining attitude is
> really one *not* to be associated with endurance riders. (C.f.
> "Get an Easyboot, or get a sense of humour"!)
> There are many hardships to overcome on the trail, and in conditioning,
where
> a positive attitude will win the day, whining will get you nowhere.
> My solution to this particular problem (e.g. whining, complaining
> argumentativeness) is to have these individuals volunteer to help
> at the next ride, or even put on their own. Then they can successfully
> implement their *suggestions*, and add one more quality ride to the area
;)

Maybe I missed something here, but I don't recall hearing any "whining"
"complaining" or "argumentation". I suspect that someone is getting a
tad bit too sensitive about some comments that were made constructively,
_in_good_faith_.

The post that started this pointed out a bit of misinformation that a
given ride was run as 5 loops re-using the same trail repeatedly.

This "rumour" was widespread, and it made the ride sound like it was
a 50 mile ride run on a 10 mile race trace. BORING! This is a *VERY*
widespread impression of this ride, and because of that impression and
the fact that in this area there are many very good rides that aren't
"run on a 10 mile loop", many local riders who do hundreds of miles a year
choose not to attend the ride.The ride sounded well managed, but boring for
horse and rider, period.

The person who pointed this out, again, was NOT whining and complaining,
but was letting the ride manager know why they didn't attend THAT ride,
but have ridden every other local ride. That person was not alone. Many
others (even more serious AERC competitors) chose not to attend the ride
for the same reason.

Because of the rumour, I have personally never targeted the ride, but
have done every other local ride, including many that incorporate
loops (such as rides at Quicksilver, Las Trampas and Grant Ranch).

Lets get past this, okay? Most of us attend rides with loops, which can
be set up to make the ride easier on the horse, rider and ride staff.
If the loops are set up wrong, the ride can get a reputation for being
"not fun", in spite of all of the other great benefits. If someone has
the guts to bring a rumour to the surface, more power to them. They
shouldn't be tagged as "whiners" and "complainers". They should be
thanked for their frankness.

Someone else can have the soapbox now.

Linda
Gilroy, Calif