ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Any recommendations for good endurance saddle girth?

Re: [endurance] Any recommendations for good endurance saddle girth?

Nancy Cox (ncox@bendnet.com)
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 11:50:59 -0700

Pam Haynes said....

>-- [ From: Pam Haynes * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
>I have observed that many endurance riders ride with a very loose girth. I
>have often seen a girth so loose you could pass a hand between the girth and
>the horse. I have observed this with different girths, horses and riders,
>so there seems to be nothing in common. Obviously this requires a very
>balanced rider. It has been my experience that a breast collar and crupper
>help keep the saddle positioned properly, and even on my rather rotund mare,
>I don't have much side-to-side slippage.

I've often wondered about tight girths vs. loose girths.....

With a loose girth, even with a crupper and breast collar, aren't
you having the saddle move back and forth a lot on the horse's
basck, and isn't that a potential problem ? Would it be better
to girth down tightly and have the saddle stay in one place, also
using crupper and breast collar ?

Ann & Summer, who has an amazingly comfortable trot, so
we may not call ourselves the Gaited Gang for ever