ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Desitin and the removal there of

Re: [endurance] Desitin and the removal there of

Brenda Miskimmin (bmiskimm@env.gov.ab.ca)
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 13:47:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Sep 95 09:24:43 PDT Lois Crowley <lcrowley@ctron.com>
wrote:
>A question for Desitin fans...
> Did a 50 mile ride on Sat. and Horse was a little girthy afterward
so I
>put some Desitin on AFTER he had rolled. Now I need to get it off.
> What do you use that's strong enough to take the stuff off but not too
nasty on
>sensitive skin? Baby oil and then mild soap?
>Dumb question #2. If I were to use this under a string girth what would
you
>use to clean the girth with?

Lois,
I am guilty of recommending the use of desitin without having the
answers to your good questions. For #1, I just leave it on til it goes away.
Usually that is for small cuts or scratches. For #2, I have never used
much near a girth. I guess the sensible (non)-answer is that since 'like
dissolves like', something that is desitin-soluble should clean it off your
girth. I would try very hot water & detergent. Maybe one of the vets out
there know what would solubilize the stuff. What do parents that use it on
cloth diapered babies use to get it out?

Brenda
Edmonton