ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Limited distance vs CTR ?

Re: [endurance] Limited distance vs CTR ?

Brenda Miskimmin (bmiskimm@env.gov.ab.ca)
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 08:38:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 01 Sep 1995 10:10:09 -0500 (EST) TETERVIN@bms.com wrote:
>ANOTHER query from the neophyte- concerning the discussion of 25
mile rides- I
>realize that there are some differences between the way competitive trail
>rides and endurance races are judged, but what is the difference
between a 25
>miles endurance race that is won based on HR etc vs a competitive trail
ride
>which is also won based on the condition of the horse and optimal
speed.Why
>not just go in competitve trail rides ? -Amy

An excellent question, Amy, and one that I put privately to the organizers
of the ride that awarded placings based on vet scores. I didn't get an
answer yet, but I look forward to their response. I see very little
difference in their method and CTRs, and think that a better system might
be a compromise where vet scores counted for say 80%, time 10% and
weight 10% (just an example). The point being that if they are trying to
introduce new riders to endurance, it should at least resemble the longer
distance method!

Brenda
Edmonton, Alberta