ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Re[2]: [endurance] pet peeves

Re: Re[2]: [endurance] pet peeves

Stephanie Teeter (step@sunfish.fsr.com)
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 14:11:06 +0800

> Steph, As I ride manager, I would be *really* interested in the
> replies, Dom

> p.s. we should start a ride manager's forum - I'd like to see
> more people put on rides, or share in the duties as a way of
> keeping the cycle going.

Agreed! And after having managed a ride - one's view is forever
changed. It is an incredible undertaking - and a good team of
helpers is a must! One of the best ways to learn the sport is
to help out at a ride.

I've seen the gamut of rides - from impeccable management to no
management. I recently attended a ride in Montana (NO reflection on
Montana or Northwest rides in general) that was a real jaw-dropper
in terms of mis-(or non-existent)-management. The ride-manager was
basically using his ride to do his first 100 miler himself.

For instance:
He set pulse criteria to 68 (had requested 72) - he rides an appy that
happens to be slow to recover. cheap trick.

He led the 100 milers for the first 1 1/2 hours because they started
well before dawn and he was the only one that knew the trail. Frustrating
for potential front-runners.

He had both vets at the first 2 100-mile checks. There were NO vets
at the first 50-miler hold. Also no p/r or timers. Everything
was done on the honor system. It was very cold and no one had
their gear during the 30 minute hold.

At the 2nd and final hold for the 50's the vet showed up 20 min
after the first riders. No p/r or timers there either. All in and
out times were up to the riders. No one to determine if/when a horse
pulsed down.

The finish for the 50 was a zoo! Mis-marked, lots of back-tracking,
several variations on the final 5 miles. At awards that night (held
around 10:30 once the manager finally finished the 100) everyone's
placing was different because minutes were arbitrarily added to
finishing times depending upon which way you happened to finish!
I haven't been so angry in a very long time!

The one and only water tank was removed from ride camp late in
the afternoon because the 'manager' knew he would need water
for his last 20 mile loop and had not planned for it.

The mileage was quite innacurate. At least for the horses' sake
it was short rather than long.

The 'day manager' was also the ride manager's personal crew.

!!!!
I know how hard it is to manage a ride - and am the first to
forgive mistakes and try to help smooth things out -as long as
they are 'honest' mistakes. These were not.

...still seething,

Steph