ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] 25 milers

[endurance] 25 milers

Tina Hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:26:48 -0500

At 2:49 PM 8/30/95, Joe Long wrote:

>The difference is that the 25 mile ride is intended as a training
>ride, for young or green horses, or horses coming back after a
>layoff.

I'm not sure I totally agree that these rides should be veiwed as a
temporary condition for a rider - implying that everyone will move on. I
have recently begun endurance riding after showing in dressage and 3-Day. I
have been to two 25 milers thus far, completed both in time and with a
sound, fit to continue horse. I don't know if I will ever do a 50 - I'd
really like to but I also realize my limitations-other obligations prevent
me from riding more than 3 or 4 times a week - usually 3 (Is that enough to
condition for a 50 - my instinct tells me no). For that reason, 25s are
perfect for me - let's me get out on the trails that I otherwise would not
ride, have a good time, meet new people, check on my conditioning skills,
etc. Does this mean that after X number of 25s I should have to do a 50
since my horse is far from young or green (10 yr old sound Arab) and has
never, to my knowledge, had an injury? I don't think so.

A similar problem happened in 3Day eventing several years ago. The first
division used to be Training - there was no novice. You just started out
with 3'3" fences and a 4' spread or whatever they were - much too large for
a younger horse/rider. The novice division was introduced to boost
participation and help finances for show managers. Fences were brought down
to 2'9" with a small spread. The division caught onextremely well and
became the backbone of many events with 2 or 3 times the entries there that
they had in training. As a matter of fact, they now have a "Tadpole" or
Pre-novice that 's even lower and it's quite popular, too.

I think for a sport to grow you really have to cater to a wide majority of
folks. And let's face it, not every one has the resources to train for 50s
or 100s. I think 25s are a great way to get us on the trail and help the
sport grow and gain a real voice in the industry.

Okay - off soapbox now.

Tina Hicks
Andy (shredding is a relative term - I like to call it recycling),
7 cats, one horse and one non-dog/non-horse husband
Huntsville, AL
hickst@puzzler.nichols.com