ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: I am puzzled

[endurance] Re: I am puzzled

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 11:03:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Aug 1995, Sullys Maze wrote:

> Something is puzzling me about the 25 mile endurance races (or rides) and the
> 50 mile endurance races (or rides). It sounds like if someone did a 25 miler
> in two and a half hours they are looked down upon because they rode it too
> fast. But when I read the results of the 50 milers who finished in three and
> a half hours on the same race (or ride), it seems like to me , if my figures
> are correct, that the rider doing the 50 miles has gone faster than the rider
> that did the 25 miles. So why is it frowned upon to go that fast on the 25
> and not the 50? I do believe that giving a best condition award for the 25
> milers is a great idea. Tammy
>
> ---
> I ride with Tammy and I am also puzzled.
>
> I understand there can be a problem with green riders and/or green
> or unconditioned horses racing 25 mile rides.
***************more followed deleted****************

MY $.02 Follows...

Well it really depends on the situation. I got a snippy message from one
of the Regional Directors who shall remain nameless for voicing my
opinions here before on training ride results.

It entirely depends on the situation. Surely the term I use "training
ride" seems to fit my circumstances better then "limited distance."
Everybody in that catagory isn't just coming up. The Rebel Prince has been
up and he's been injured. Thus making comebacks he's back to 25 milers.
(Until Lake Sonoma) He's logged so many training miles I can barely
calculate, but returning from his oft injured suspensory these are
training rides. I set no criteria EXCEPT LET HIM FIND HIS PACE AND DON'T
OVERRIDE BY DOING SO! If that's 2 and a half hours then that's just as
fine to me as finishing at 5 minutes before the strike of 6 hours as long
as he's making progress, enjoying himself and still learning even at age
14.

Let it be known I don't race though I have been known to make bad
decisions keeping up with or ahead of lighter riders. Also my primary
interest is X-T and dressage and for me Endurance is rest and relaxation
sans Wool Jackets and velvet hats. I learned a long time back that I'm
not going to beat people who weigh 100 lbs less then I on my 900 lb.
Arab.

I truly enjoy bonding with my horse out there and completing. I've been on
both sides of that training ride time situation you guys described, but
steadfastly refuse to be placed in a catagory as dictated solely by time.
It's unfair and unreasonable. Now I would expect critical discord should I
come in on an overridden horse. That, after all, is the whole of the law
in my humble opinion!

####Tommy Crockett, Los Osos, Ca.####
Tomydore@goblin.punk.net###DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu
ask me about my TB mare Flossie or that Arab The Rebel Prince
"I don't wear no Stetson But I'm willing to bet son I'm just a big a
Texan as you are, There's a Girl in her bare feet Asleep in the back
seat, that trunk's full of Pearl Beer and Lone Star" Terry Allen