ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: I am puzzled

[endurance] Re: I am puzzled

Brenda Miskimmin (bmiskimm@env.gov.ab.ca)
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 11:56:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Aug 95 09:36:12 PDT Sullys Maze
<Sully@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>[31554] WED 08/30/95 00:24 FROM TammyCS101@aol.com: [endurance]
Very puzzling
> to me!; 27 LINES

I agree with all of the points made about people having different reasons
for entering endurance and limited distance rides. In Alberta, the limited
distance riders are the bread & butter of the clubs putting on the rides.
This year, for example, one of our 'international competitors' decided he
was only going to have a 100 mi event because he scorned limited
distance riders. He eventually had to change his mind partly because so
few riders would be entering the 100 that they would end up in a big hole
financially.

I'm not sure about the rules of US limited distance rides, but here, racing
across the finish line is useless because it is the first horse down to 64
bpm that wins the ride. We also have best condition awards. Last year,
someone tried to pass a motion at the AGM that a horse could only win 2
limited distance rides, after which they could only get completions. This
was intended to discourage long-time competitors from always winning
against novices. The motion was defeated.

I think that folks should be able to enter any distance they want, without
pressure to increase the distance if they or their horses aren't up to it. I,
personally enjoy the longer distances, but I also know lots of people who
either physically can't do it or simply don't want to. That's ok with me.

To finish any ride is to win.

Brenda
Edmonton AB