ridecamp@endurance.net: Re[2]: Question on BIKES/Horses

Re[2]: Question on BIKES/Horses

WarholNW (WarholNW@ccmail.apldbio.com)
Mon, 31 Jul 95 12:42:22 PDT

Bikes and horses- a subject close to my heart, since I am a multi-type
trail user. I ride horses on the trails, as well as a mountain bikes,
and an off road motorcycle. I pay a lot of attention to horse/bike
encounters. I have found that most mountain bike riders are aware of
horses, and that the horses have the right of way on the trails. Most
horses do not seem to mind the bikes, as long as they see them coming,
and are not surprised by their presence. (my old horse HATES a bike
laying on its side on the road) Every time I come across a bike, I
always thank the rider for pulling over, or thank him for asking if it
is OK to ride by. I try and promote goodwill, since we do have to
share the trail with others. I also try and educate the bike riders by
asking them to "call out" the next time they see horses.

It seems to me the hikers are the ones who are less tolerant of
horses. Perhaps since the bikers and horse people have a common
problem- access to the nice trails. A couple of weeks ago we were
riding down a steep singletrack shaded trail, and came across a group
of hikers. My wife waited for the leader to move off the trail, but
he didn't. She started to say "Excuse me, could you move off the
trail for a second..." The guy just steamed up the trail, actually
brushing against the horse. He never even budged! The rest of the
group moved, but who knows what was going on in the leaders head. I'm
glad he was not riding a bike at the time.

NIck