> Subject: 25 mile Race or Train?
>
> I agree with M Tomlinson and some of the other posts I've read lately
> reagarding the 25 miles Limited Distance -

<Snip >

> I think it's interesting that the 25 mile LD don't count for mileage -
> Personally it wouldn't bother me if only the 100 mi distance were counted as
> mileage -- what a concept? perhaps it would alter the way our lesser miles
> (25, 50, 75) are ridden overall?

Actually, I think that we need to focus more on condition, period. Having
great fast riders in our ranks makes it too tempting to push a little harder.
I really admire some of these fast horse and rider teams, but I'd still like
to see Best Condition be the big award, and first in be dropped back a notch.
It would make the BC award a political nightmare, but it would force a
subtle change in our mindset.

We don't award "real" miles to LD riders; that doesn't discourage
them from racing. I don't think this strategy would slow the fast 50's
down! Some folks just ride limited distance (or 50's) for fun, don't plan
on doing longer rides.

Has AERC ever considered including limited distance miles as endurance
miles, not tracking them separately? Just brainstorming, if we awarded
"real" miles to LD folks who's horses finished in great condition, would
people who currently fly through LD rides taking themselves seriously? It
would take forever to get to that 1000 mile mark at 25 to 30 miles per ride,
but it would get rid of the "no big deal" type of attitude that pervades
LD rides.

> I agree with awarding not the placings in the 25 - but the CONDITION of the
> horse, and more than one is great! Encourage as many riders as possible to
> be focused on the horse and their ride, not the others speed.
>
> Perhaps the comments on the 25 LD that have been posted can be forwarded to
> competitions committee AERC? Just a thought...

Good thought! I'm all for it. This is the only forum I'm aware of where
endurance is discussed informally at an international level on a daily
level, and the AERC board should be interested in what gets discussed here.

> Wendy Rude
> Washington state
>-- End of excerpt from WRude@aol.com

Later!