ridecamp@endurance.net: imput needed on new horse (fwd)

imput needed on new horse (fwd)

F_SCHERERTA@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Fri, 09 Jun 1995 08:49:24 -0600 (CST)

Karen,

I have alot of suggestions and would love to work with this horse because
it sounds like she really has something to offer. HEART. At least that
is what it sounds like to me. I will try and help you as much as
possible. Just don't give up on her.

As being Green, Yes she is. Sights and sounds of arenas and mounted
patrol are totally different than the trail. There are spooky things out
there just waiting to jump out and eat her. At least thats probably how
she feels. Being with another horse or running to the trailer is just an
example of her fleeing abilities.

First you have to let this horse know that this stuff is FUN. DROP THE
CROP. There is no place out on the trail for a crop. I don't mean to
be stern sounding about this but first you need to show your horse that
this can be fun. Once she starts to enjoy the trail she will relax a
little on her spookieness (sp). Stay at a walk and trot. Then master
the canter. Don't give her too many things to work on at once. She will
get confused at this point. Remember everything is new to her. You are
also new to her. You also need to stop and smell the trees and plants
don't be so uptight. When you are doing 50's and 100's, it is not the
crop that is going to make her finish, it will be her heart. Remember that.
The first goal you should be working on the 25 rides is finishing. Not
winning. So whats the rush. You have 6 hours.

Keep me informed on your progress. And remember. Don't dwell on
everything she has done wrong, look on the positive points and work from
there. Boy that sounds really corney.

Good Luck.

Teri
Morning Dew Arabians