ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Akhal Teke

Re: Akhal Teke

Rose Dewar (rose@cee.hw.ac.uk)
Fri, 09 Jun 1995 12:07:52 +0100

Lynne wrote:
>Then, in yesterday's digest, I read Desiree's description of her ride on an
>Akhtal Teke (sp?) and have only recently started seeing anything on these
>horses. Saw my first one (a beautiful palomino) in Prineville, OR in May.
>The owner of this particular mare also has a buckskin (in A.T. parlance
>called a "golden bay"!) stallion standing fairly nearby (south-central WA).
>So, what are they like? Do they cross well with Arabs? Where should I look
>to read more about this breed?

Funnily enough, we have just been talking about Russian breeds on a UK
horsey mailgroup I am on, so I have copied some of the info on the A.T. for
you...

Petra wrote:
My Grandparents live near an Achal Tekkiner stud in Germany, and there is no
spectacle like a herd of them in evening sunlight, one of the breed
characteristics is a metallic gleam to the coat, and it's like watching a
herd of bronze and gold statues walking around !

Unfortunately another breed characteristic is a rather peculiar (in western
european eyes) conformation.

Anyway, here comes a bit of breed stuff :

Akhal Teke ( Achal Tekkiner )
Originally bred for racing by the Turkoman people of Russia, with phenomenal
resistance to heat and drought, and capable of going on literally forever. In
1935 a group of them completed a ride from Ashkabat to Moscow, 2600 miles over
dreadful country, in 85 days, 600 miles of it though desert. The modern Achal
Tekkiner is used for racing, and also does dressage, long distance riding and
jumps.

The breed is known for its difficult temperament (I can endorse that!), but
is very beautiful despite its sickle hocks, narrow quarters, high wither and
long back.

Strangely, even though they tend to display most conformation faults known to
man, they are absolutely gorgeous, and I have always wanted to own one. height
about 15.2 hh, movements sliding and expressive, colour : all with a metallic
gleam.

Lori wrote:
This is a purely uninformed opinion and based on my reading and what I've
seen. So, please do not flame me, flame the authers of the 3 breed books
that said this and the breeders.

The Akhal Teke in my readings are said to combine all the worst conformation
faults possible. They traditionally have weak loins, long backs, thin
and narrow chests, long pasterns and are straight behind. The ones I
have personally seen remind me of a greyhound without the depth of
chest.

BUT they have this incredible color that looks like the horse is
made of shiny metal. Unbelieveable color. Must be seen to be believed. what
I have seen and read are old breeding stock. If they are out crossing then
I'm sure that their conformation is rapidly improving.

So, I'd be interested in hearing if improvements have been made in their
confirmation. That metal color would be spectacular on a jumper!!

Petra replied:
Yes, the Achal Tekke does combine some of the most peculiar conformation bits,
but for some reason it does not seem to hinder their performance, also, a good
one is very beautiful, once you get used to it. Despite the conformation there
have been several Achal Tekkes competing at international level.

I looked at a 20 year old stallion last year, for whom the owner was seeking a
permanent new home. I rode him and he was just smashing. Sadly I had to pass
because I did not feel I would have the facilities and time to look after
another stallion long term, but I would have loved to have him. There is an
Achal Tekke club in the UK, and if anybody is really interested it might be
worth giving them a ring, the number should be in the BHS yearbook. I used
to vist an Achal Tekke stud in Germany, and must say I love those horses !
On the plus side, they do have incredible stamina, and a lot of spirit !

---
These are the replies from a few of the UK people, *please* don't flame me
if you don't agree with their opinions, I'm just passing them on! Hope it's
useful.

The "Akhal-Teke Society of GB" address is: Mrs S Waldock, Barguse Farm Stud, Lockengate, St Austell, Cornwall, PL26 8RU. Tel: (from UK) 01208-831817

Regards,

Rose rose@cee.hw.ac.uk