> Subject: Colic from cold water
>
> I've heard that after a long, hot ride you are not supposed to give a horse
> cold water, for fear of colic. Instead you wait until the horse has a
> chance to cool down, before watering. Now I've seen postings here, and even
> at the competitive riding clinic I went to, there were mentions of allowing
> a horse to drink from streams during/after the ride. How is this, or what
> am I missing? Is it just "a given" that the horse is already cool?
>
> Thanks in advance -
>
> Lisa
>-- End of excerpt from OLSONML@MAIL.STATE.WI.US

Hi Lisa -

The advice that I've been given is that if the horse is hot and the
water is cold, let the horse dring several long sips (4 or 5 long
draughts is plenty), walk the horse for 5 minutes, let it have some
more water, and continue to walk untill the horse cools down completely.
Walking also helps prevent stiff muscles.

It's fine to allow the horse to fill-up on cold water while riding - just
as long as you keep moving after drinking.

On rides, I fill my water buckets before I leave camp in the morning
so that the sun (hopefully) will raise the temperture to a tepid level
by the time I'm back for lunch or the end of the ride. If the water is
warm and my horse has cooled down a bit, I don't worry about how much
he drinks.

Linda