ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Conditioning

Re: Conditioning

Joe Long (jlong@iquest.com)
Wed, 31 May 95 17:38:38 CDT

>Stephanie Greenway writes:
>
>I have a question concerning getting a horse in good condition for a =

>race.

First, I want to emphasize along with some of our other posters that ever=
horse is an individual and what works for one may not work for others =
(that
applies to the leg wrap question, too).

When I first discovered endurance riding and read some articles on
conditioning, I thought I would never do well because I didn't have the =
time or
the dedication to do that much work. I was pleased to discover that it =
need
not take long workouts five or six days a week!

I agree with the other respondents that it is better to undertrain than =

overtrain. Also, to get the most training benefit from exercise, the =
horse
must follow days of work with days of rest. The body tissue needs time =
respond to the exercise, to repair and strengthen itself.

Three to four days a week of a varied routine should be enough to bring =
most
good horses into condition for endurance rides. I'll leave details of =
conditioning program to the experts. BTW, there is a thorough and detail=
ed
conditioning program laid out in the AERC Rider's Handbook, available =
on the
Endurance page on the WWW. I personally think it's too much, but Nina =
Warren
wrote it and she is one of the top riders in the world.