ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Leg Wraps after rides

Re: Leg Wraps after rides

CMikeT@aol.com
Wed, 31 May 1995 14:33:30 -0400

Karen,

I wrap my horse's legs after any ride that I think is harder than our usual
training (which means nearly every endurance ride). I do so, though, with
something cold, never holding in the heat. I have some great ice boots from
DuraKold that I am currently using.

Bob is very correct that most people are just holding in the heat, which is
the opposite of what is desired. Even the most touted support boots,
Professional's Choice, canNOT support the horses leg significantly without
causing detrimental blood flow problems. Support boots, moreover, hold in
the heat.

I do use regular fluffy polo wraps or the big trailer wraps in the trailer on
any horse that I think might bang his legs while trailering.

I use thick quilted bandages on one of my old, arthritic horses to keep his
legs warm anytime it is cool out.

I use interference boots at the start of the rides (when my horse's brain is
nowhere to be found) and again late in the ride once he begins to get tired.

My personal feeling on tack and the endurance horse: Too little is better
than too much. If you don't need it, DON'T USE IT!

C. Mike Tomlinson, DVM
CMikeT@AOL.com
Mike@Tomlinson.com