ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Breatcollars

RE: Breatcollars

Linda Cowles @ PCB x5624 (lindac@wv.MENTORG.COM)
Tue, 23 May 95 08:31:23 -0700

On May 22, 7:15pm, Mark A. Thayer wrote:
> Subject: Re: RE: Breatcollars
> On Mon, 22 May 1995 lindac@wv.MENTORG.COM wrote:
> > I have used breast collars with my dressage saddle also, but I
> > attach it to rings that slip over my stirrup bars (in *front* of
> > the stirrup leathers!) because the D-rings on many of these saddles
> > are likely to pull out under endurance conditions!
>
> Linda, this is interesting -- and useful, because park saddles don't
> have any D-rings! So are these rings part of the breastcollar, or did
> you have to jury-rig something?
>
> Best, Mark
>
>-- End of excerpt from Mark A. Thayer

Hi Gang,

I think I got my last rings from Australian Connection mail order tack.
I don't have the number at work (anyone have a catalog handy?) but I saw
them in several booths at the annual AERC convention 2 years ago.

What these are are nylon-cord loops approx 2 inches long that are sewed
securely to a regular "d" ring. To put then on, slip the stirrup leathers
off, slide the loops over the stirrup bars, replace the leathers - Easy!

Several of my friends use these replaceable rings rather than the regular
"D"s because they are more secure. And I have several friends that use the
saddles "D"s but carry one of these in case something happens.

I guess they would be easy to make, but the ones I buy are cheap and are
sewn with a little piece of leather over the sewn cord ends... easier to
buy than to make!

Later - Linda