Re: [RC] GPS saddle mounting ideas

At 06:01 PM 2/26/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>  I've seen and played with several handlebar mounts for bikes and
> motorcycles.  My husband is an engineer and thinks he and a friend could
> build something, but I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas or advice
> or something they've seen out there on the market that will work.

Cindy:  You might remember me posting something about my horses falling in
a hole at a fast trot at a ride in September, and then flipping over and
landing on top of me.  He had all four feet up in the air, and there I was
completely underneath him with Christopf Schork and Dean Jackson shouting
at me "don't move, don't move" (haha, yeah right).  :^P  The irony is that
the day before, the handlebar mount on my saddle that I'd used to read my
GPS from my saddle pommel all summer had broken.  I had just taken it off
the morning before that ride.  Lucky thing I did, it would have really done
some damage. (as it was, I was squashed like a bug and had a few body parts
re-arranged, but hey I broke the horses fall so he didn't get hurt <g>)

I have since ridden with the GPS in the pommel bag, or else in a shirt
pocket.  That works so long as you are wearing a shirt with a pocket, and
it doesn't seem to bother John much that my shirts with pockets happen to
be hawaiian.  Oh yeah, when I did make it into the vet check the first
thing the Duck asked after finding out what happened, was if his GPS was
allright.  That was day 2, and for the rest of the 5 days my junior got to
hear me whine.  Good thing there are no rules about sponsors
whining.  (right, Maryben?)

You might want to try getting some sticky-back velcro, and use that to
attach the GPS to your pommel that way.  (tho, the odds of your horse
landing pommel side down on top of your back are probably nil) Make sure
you use a keeper strap with a clip to your saddle in case it comes
undone.  I had mine rigged that way this summer, as every so often even
with the mount it would come undone, and I never lost it.